What is solar?
When sunlight falls on a Photovoltaic (PV) cell it converts sunlight into electricity. Light energy (photons) excite the electrons in the molecules of a semi-conducting material (eg silicon) and the energised electrons then establish an electrical voltage. We can combine the solar cells to create voltages that are useful for use in home and industry.
The amount of electricity a solar PV system generates depends on the intensity of the sunlight it’s exposed to. Most areas of New Zealand receive enough sunlight to make Solar PV. The more panels you have, the more free power you produce!
A solar PV system can also generate electricity on cloudy days but the output will be reduced. Solar PV panels do not produce electricity at night.
Some people take their property off the national grid if they generate enough solar PV but most people keep their property connected to the grid in a ‘Grid Tied’ system. Here the electricity their solar system generates is ‘topped up’ by electricity from the grid. This latter system happens automatically with the solar system reducing normal power bills.Solar cells are usually small, so you need to join lots together to create a PV panel. These panels can then be grouped together into solar PV arrays.
The electricity emerges from the solar panels as direct current (dc) and has to be converted to alternating current (a.c.) to be useful for household appliances etc. It can also be sold back to your utilities company in this form. The conversion from d.c. to a.c. is done by an inverter which is an essential part of any solar system.
It’s as simple as that and it’s not difficult to produce 50% of the power that a home needs. When combined with other power saving methods like hot water heat pumps and LED Lighting, you can easily produce enough energy for the majority of your home needs. Find out how you can start saving money today by talking to the Assist Energy team. We cover the Canterbury and Otago regions and have approved installers South Island wide.
Photovoltaic solar panels are a clean, green way to harness the power of the sun to generate electricity for your house or business. More and more people are looking to help reduce NZ’s carbon footprint and their own costs by installing a solar array.
The benefits are numerous including:
- FUTURE SAVINGS – Solar is the most promising source of future energy supply because it is clean and abundant.
- UP-GRADABLE – Your system is easy to upgrade if your energy demands rises.
- SUITS NZ CLIMATE – The amount of sunshine New Zealand receives per year is more than Germany, the highest users of solar technology in the world.
- GENERATE EVERY DAY – You can still generate electricity even when it’s cloudy, although there will be some reduction in the amount produced.
- COST REDUCTION – Used well customers’ retail electricity costs have on average reduced by around 40% compared to compare to before installing solar system.
- FREE CLEAN ENERGY – As light shines on your photovoltaic solar panels the electricity produced will be used to power the appliances in your home. Only excess will be fed back into the grid.
- RAISE PROPERTY VALUE – Install solar panels and improve the value of your asset.
- LOW MAINTENANCE – Solar panels are quiet won’t disrupt your view and are maintained with a light wash each year.
Mitsubishi Electric is a global leader in providing superior-quality photovoltaic modules to businesses and residences around the world. With over 40 years of experience in the photovoltaic industry, they make products designed and built for optimal efficiency & reliability.
With Mitsubishi Electric, you are getting the best. Our panels have:
- High Power Output
- Mitsubishi Electric Quality
- They are reliable in NZ Conditions
- Improved Frame strength
- Double Corrosion-resistant Frame Coating
- High Snow Load
- Installable in Areas with High Salt Concentration
For more information go to www.mitsubishi-electric.co.nz/product
Jinko is a global leader in solar technology with 15000 employees across 5 sites throughout the world. They invest heavily in R&D to ensure their products are cutting edge and of the highest quality. The panels we use of theirs is the M series. It has the following features:
- Built-in intelligent cell optimizer IC avoids negative consequences of any type of mismatch within a panel.
- The most flexible solution for any rooftop condition and orientation.
- Elimination of hot spots, which results in minimized panel degradation.
- Best-in-class shade tolerance by performing MPPT on individual cell-strings to maximize energy harvest.
- Ideal for rooftop and solar power plant applications.
Please visit www.jinko-smart.com for more information.
This home installation uses the solar generation to drive heating for the pool, etc, during summer and contribute to household consumption. We will design a solution to meet your needs and expectations.
Which size and system
It is important to match your solar system to your needs and expectations. During the consultation with our staff we will discuss your power bill, patterns in your power usage, future plans roof area available and match design a system that will optimise your savings.
As an approximate guide to pricing that might be helpful:
COST FROM $5 per day* COST FROM $6.88 per day* COST FROM $8.32 per day*
*Terms and conditions apply. The pricing is based on raising a loan to purchase the system. Weekly repayments at 8.75% interest p.a. over 5 years with a loan establishment fee. The lending company’s terms and conditions will apply. These prices are for ideal placements on homes in the Christchurch area. A typical return on investment for an installed system is around 7-8 years.
You could have “Solar for less than a cup of coffee per day”
Our solutions can range from supplementing your current electricity supply and simply reducing your bills through to having the property heated and powered solely by solar radiation. What is possible will depend on the roof area available, how it lies to the sun, and what savings you would like to achieve. Two helpful tools:
- Sun and your property
Check out how suitable your place is for a solar installation using ‘Suncalc’ www.suncalc.net. Enter your street address, and switch on satellite imagery. You can then see the exposure of your property to the sun on any day you wish.
- Optimum size and design of your solar solution
This calculator will tell you the optimum size for your energy use www.mitsubishi-electric.co.nz/solar
The inverter takes the direct current (d.c.) from the Solar panel panels on the roof and converts it to 240V of alternating current (a.c.). The current is fed into your switch board to feed your household appliances. The Solar generated electricity is used first then the electricity from the grid.
Inverters are smart devices. They can connect to your phone app to show how much power is being generated in your solar array, how much is being used and how much is being sold back into the national grid. AEL uses Enasolar inverters as they are extremely efficient, smart and are world leaders. They are also made here in New Zealand.
Some key features are:
- Accurate MPPT sweep >98% efficiency
- Longer life with NO MOVING MARTS
- Inbuilt WIFI provides for verification and reporting
- No add on additional costs and a neat install
- Compatible with battery storage
- This is one cool inverter with a front mounted heat sink for airflow, easy care & cleaning.
- Lightweight with integrated lockable DC and AC isolating switches which reduce installation time and cost.
- Built to standard not to a cost to ensure reliability, quality and performance
- All Enasolar inverters are accredited by the Clean Energy Council.
The inverters we use are world leading technology from Enasolar in Christchurch!
AEL is investigating the best battery solution for its solar PV arrays. We have options and are awaiting the outcome of trials before we will confidently recommend solutions.
It is expected that battery technology will become common place and will transform the home energy market. Being able to store the energy a property generates will be a game changer.
At present people are optimising the use of the power they generate by using timers to switch on key appliances such as their water heater, washing machine or dishwasher. This is also very effective.
ENERGY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
At present we offer the Elios and Immersun energy management systems. Both of these provide visibility of the energy being generated, have reporting functions and have the ability to switch appliances remotely through web connection.
The Elios system is installed on your tablet or smart phone.
Take control of your PV installation
Discover the right time to activate your appliances at home
Measure how much energy you’ve generated
How much energy has been exchanged with the grid and your overall household consumption in real time